The Force Preview plug-in helps reduce comment spam on a Movable Type blog. When enabled, commenters are required to preview their comment before posting.
This plug-in has been tested on Movable Type version 3.2. It is not compatible with Movable Type version 4.0.
See included README file for complete description and installation directions.
Here is what's good about this plug-in:
- It is extremely effective against comment spamming 'bots—the most common method used by comment spammers.
- Unlike most anti-spam methods (such as registration or captcha), forced comment preview doesn't burden your commenters. Your commenters probably won't even notice: they'll just click the "preview" button automatically.
- And who knows, maybe the quality of the comment on your blog will improve now that people will have to preview before posting.
Here is what's bad about this plug-in:
- Installation requires a small change to your Movable Type installation. It's in the form of a patch, which most Unix/Linux administrators know how to handle.
- Once installed, you need to enable it individually for each blog that should be protected. It will require a tweak to your comment preview template. This isn't too bad if your site runs just one blog. This will be a pain in the ass if you run dozens.
- Finally, while this plugin is extremely effective against comment spam, it does nothing to reduce trackback spam.
Version 1.0 (01-Mar-2006) - Initial public release.