Let's Save the Riverside Library
Links of Interest
Here are some links that will give you more information on the Riverside
closure and related topics.
Riverside in the News
- On August 19, the Austin American-Statesman wrote a very good
on the Riverside closure.
- On August 27, the Statesman followed up with an
on the Rescue Riverside effort.
- The August 29 Austin Chronicle
City column covered the backlash to the proposed Riverside closure.
- When we tell people the City wants to close Riverside, the
invariable response is, "Why would they do that?" That simple
question has a surprisingly complex answer. We usually just mumble
something about tight spending and budget priorities. In the
September 5 issue of the Austin Chronicle, Mike Clark-Madison wrote
article about the policy issues that lead to this decision.
City of Austin Links
- If you want to phone, write, or email the Council:
the City of Austin maintains a web page with information on how to
the Mayor and City Council.
- The City of Austin also maintains a web page with information
on the 1997/98
Budget. You'll find an
of the library budget here.
- If you are willing to wade through it, you'll find some mention
of library issues in the
Manager's Letter of Transmittal. In particular, down towards
the very end, the City Manager discusses how he'd like to shut down
the neighborhood libraries (like Riverside) and replace them with
big regional libraries.
for the Save Riverside Coalition
$Id: links.html,v 1.4 1997/09/05 18:51:18 chip Exp $